Battle tested technologist based in Seattle; equally comfortable in the role of individual contributor or manager.
DevOps: Experienced builder of reliable, secure, automated infrastructure
Software Development: Pythonista who loves infrastructure as code
Manager: Experienced people manager with a record of success helping team members achieve career goals
Social: Truly enjoys working with others to foster success in the business, co-workers, and clients
Avid Learner: Former teacher, and perpetual student. Safari Books Online subscription is most treasured possession
|Git||Vagrant||Jenkins||Linux||Google Cloud Platform|
DevOps Engineer | Booking.com | 2015 - Current
Booking.com is the world leader in booking accommodation online
Works across teams building and operating secure and reliable infrastructure. Evangelizes and implements best infrastructure security practices.
Co-Owner | Bars and Spaces, LLC | 2015 - 2016
Bar and Spaces specializes in software development and support services for embedded systems.
Does a bit of everything: co-runs a business, builds new opportunities, and writes code. Works directly with customers to determine project requirements while setting realistic expectations for deliverables. Favorite part of the job is evaluating embedded hardware solutions.
DevOps Engineer and QA Manager | ClipCard | 2013-2015
ClipCard was a personal search app startup that began it's life as a bathymetric data arbitrage startup called OneOcean.
Created, operated, and improved secure and reliable infrastructure for applications, deployment and continuous integration. Target platforms included AWS, Softlayer and local instances. Also managed human QA resources, and releases.
- Longest tenured employee at ClipCard. Experienced a startup from conception to closure
- Made the dream of a fully Puppetized deployments a reality
- Made it possible to do push button deployments of QA environments
- Built infrastructure that allowed management to safely push changes to the corporate website without help from Ops
- Built continuous integration infrastructure that tested and packaged every commit pushed
- Performed emergency open heart surgery in production and never killed the patient
GIS and QA Engineer | ClipCard | 2012-2013
Started doing a bit of everything, but evolved into mostly python focused SDET work. Also became practiced in the art of hiring.
- Lead testing efforts for critical release milestone that unlocked funding round
- Orchestrated testing between teams in Seattle and in Hyderabad, India
- Developed python scripts for geospatial processing
- Configured and managed production systems
Application Support Specialist | Northwest Administrators | 2011-2012
Northwest Administrators are a third party administrator of employee benefits and benefit claim processing services. They also manage the 35 billion dollar Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Trust.
Provided support for internal applications, systems, and reports. Resolved issues affecting production systems, particularly those involving prescription and COBRA benefits. Tested, coordinated, and communicated application changes with management, developers, and users.
- Developed Python and VBA scripts that automated routine tasks that had been done manually for years
- Learned a lot about how our healthcare sausage is made
Compliance Auditor | Northwest Administrators | 2010-2011
Performed compliance analysis in maintenance of the Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Trust Fund
- Developed VBA and Python scripts that automated much of the work of auditing the largest account which been previously done completely by hand.
International Work | 2006-2010
Taught for four years in private and public institutions in Japan and Korea.
Places of Employment:
- Gangnam School District. Seoul, South Korea | 2009-2010
- LCI Kids Club. Seoul, South Korea | 2008-2009
- GEOS. Tokyo. Japan | 2007-2008
- Nova. Osaka, Japan | 2006-2007
- Gained valuable experience organizing and leading groups of people
- Developed and deployed engaging, culturally appropriate curricula
- Succeeded in work and life environments that had dramatic communication and cultural hurdles
- Saw a lot of the world
Certificate in Python, University of Washington | 2014
Certificate in GIS, Penn State University | 2011
Certificate in Korean Language, Gangnam-UC Riverside International Education Center | 2010
B.A. in Cultural Anthropology, Western Washington University | 2006
Activities and Interests
- Co-Organizer of Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
- General interests include my wife, Linux, history, travel, cycling, music
- Current obsessions include relearning how to ride a BMX bike, my standing desk, the Byzantine Empire, the bronze age collapse, and Golang